Tuesday 28 August 2007

Style and the Blues face

I've often found that whenever a new technique is learnt it creates a change in the style of play. I have a tendency to stand there and bang out random solos for a good half hour before playing something meaningful every time I pick up the guitar. I guess I could rationalise it as a warm up, but then again I've yet to see a legitimate warm up technique that usually degenerates into a race to see if I can play fast enough to stop time - a la Petrucci (He controls the rate at which the world turns with his preamp, true story).

In any case, it's during these "warm ups" that I'll try and implement anything new I've learnt by weaving it into the solo. I often find that to accommodate whatever it is I'm trying to play I'll end up completely changing style. I stand there ready to launch into an epic Gilmour-esque solo and come out with something decidedly country or reggae, and just end up looking a bit stupid due to the necessary Gary Moore blues face that accompanies it.

Don't laugh, it's a disability.

1 comment:

Ben D said...

I hear the Gary Moore blues face is actually statutory in some states...